Sunday, April 3, 2011

Job Shadowing

For my day of job shadowing, I went to Midwest Family Broadcasting, which is the building containing the radio stations Alice at 97.7, 92.7, WMAY, and WNNS along with their sales staff, sound recording stuff, and whatever else you can think of. I was not sure really what to expect first going there because I had always had preconceived notions about radio being some kind of cool studio dreamland, and I didn't know how this would actually work in real life. Although MFB was just another office building, it fully met my realistic expectations. However, it was sort of strange to put a face with the voices I have been listening to for so long. I had been to recording studios and things of that nature before, and I pretty much got the same feeling with these radio studios, except here, everything was much nicer then in my friend's basement for instance. I sure hoped everybody would be nice to a couple of kids like us following them around and bugging them all day, and this was certainly the case. Everybody there seemed to have some kind of joke to crack of story to tell, which provided some much needed relief to an awkward situation in the first place. At first, I was not too sure that I wanted this kind of office job and seemingly just talking into a microphone all the time, but as the day wore on, I definitely saw myself in some sort of radio situation. I learned that being on air is just the tip of the iceberg in the radio business. For example, many people who work there are what you might call "a jack of all trades" because they know how to do everything. As for a full time job i a radio station, I am not sure, but I could see myself as an intern or something to not only learn more about the radio business, but to learn how to work cohesively in a professional environment. This is clearly a job demanding good people skills to be successful, as with many others in today's workforce. I suppose what I learned most of all is that an appearance of a company is truly just a small portion of the work that actually occurs there and the hard working people who do it. Also, too many folders is never a bad thing....

No comments:

Post a Comment