Thursday, August 19, 2010

The Catcher in the Rye: Sally Hayes

Sally Hayes is an apparently very attractive girl who seems to have a bit of a strange relationship with Holden. I know she is very attractive because Holden says that she is, and I believe that I can trust Holden’s judgment in women. However, I say that their relationship is odd because for some reason, Holden has mixed feelings towards her. He calls her stupid and very phony. If I were Holden, I would be all for Sally because she is nice, attractive, and I believe he is quite intelligent. I am not too sure why Holden calls her dumb. One theory I have is that maybe Holden feels a bit childish and embarrassed when he goes out with her because she is so dramatic. Given she is no Jane Gallagher, but Sally definitely brings something to the table. I wish Holden would have been smarter and not offended her so much when they were on their date at the theater. However, it does not all make sense to me. If Holden really thought that she was stupid and phony, then he would not have called her so much and kept in touch with her for so long. I think that deep inside, Holden does like Sally, but on the outside, he is cold and negative towards her. Holden can be a pretty confusing guy sometimes especially when it comes to girls. For example, he is certainly not shy around most people, but when it comes to girls like Jane Gallagher, he is as shy as can be. That is when his childish and immature side is really accentuated. Sally only comes up once or twice in the novel, yet there is so much to talk about. She truly sparks some controversy, at least with me. Along with many characters in the book, I would certainly want to meet Sally. I wish Salinger would have put a little more detail about Holden’s thoughts on Sally, but I suppose that just adds to the mystery and intrigue of this already fascinating novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment