Saturday, August 21, 2010

The Catcher in the Rye: Life is Not A Game

It is clear to me now that I think about it more that Holden hardly likes hid former teacher Mr. Spencer at all. As I look into the antics and quotes of his, he is a super Phony according to Holden’s standards. For instance, in this quote, Mr. Spencer sounds like a total square; “’Life is a game, boy. Life is a game that one plays according to the rules.’
‘Yes, sir. I know it is. I know it.’
Game, my ass. Some game. If you get on the side where all the hot-shots are, then it’s a game, all right—I’ll admit that. But if you get on the other side, where there aren’t any hot-shots, then what’s a game about it? Nothing. No game.” This is at a point in chapter two where Mr. Spencer is lecturing Holden about the importance of “playing by the rules.” If I disagree with him, then I know Holden does as well. I wish he would have said his second comments out loud and right to Mr. Spencer’s face rather than just in his head. This conversation details Holden’s early personality very well. Although he cannot stand what he is hearing from a phony adult like Mr. Spencer, he still has respect for his elders not only because of the time period but also because of his youth. Another large point about this conversation that Holden says is the fact of his alienation. He talks about the “other side with all the hot-shots.” This tells me that Holden feels like he is on the opposite side of the so-called hot-shots. Therefore, he feels as though everyone is coming from the other side and against him. This side of Holden is depressing to me. It almost seems as though Holden himself is depressed, but I know that is just Holden being Holden. His cynicism and pessimism are the main reasons for this sad tone throughout the entire novel.

No comments:

Post a Comment